Kevin's Hiking Page    

Tuolumne Meadows Trip

Day 2 of 4

Previous Day | Trip Home | Next Day

Friday, August 14th
Lembert Dome, Cathedral Lakes

Sometime in the morning, the temperature inside my tent read 50 degrees. Fairly comfortable. Think I got about 4-5 hours of sleep that night, which is typical for camping sleep. It helped that I brought along a pillow. =)

We got up near sunrise and began to get ready. After breakfast I went over to the Mountaineering School, but they didn't have the battery I needed. It was up to Lan or Angie to save me now!

In the morning, we did the hike up Lembert Dome, which is just across Tioga Road from the campground.

We drove back to the campground. The skies opened up and it started pouring. For about 10 minutes. And then it stopped. While we were there, getting ready for our next hike, Angie, Cammy, Kane, Lan, and Susan came. They decided that instead of joining us on the afternoon hike, they'd set up camp first and then decide what to do. I was jubilant when I found out that Lan had gotten my message and had brought me a new camera battery. I put it in my camera and was ready to go.

Angie and Cammy picked out their site and started to set up their tent. Kane, Lan, and Susan went across the road to start setting up their tents.

Jean, Jennie, Reza, and I drove to the visitor center to see if Weihaw and C.J. were there to meet us. We looked around, but they were nowhere to be found. While we were there, I looked at the weather forecast printed on the whiteboard. Today: clear in the morning, with a possibility of afternoon thunderstorms; clearing at night. Tomorrow: same as today, as always.

We made the short drive over to the trailhead and started our hike to Cathedral Lakes.

After drying off at the Visitor Center, we drove to the Tuolumne Meadows Grill and had a quick dinner. I knew I'd be eating for the next two hours; no need to eat everything all at once.

When we got into camp, Angie and Cammy had already started cooking. After the TMG Combo I had at the grill, I had a hot dog, some leftover pesto pasta, cookies, anything I could lay my hands on. And there was a big spread of food, to be sure. Lan cooked tofu hot dogs!

Weihaw and C.J. arrived. C.J. was suffering from altitude sickness, so he rested.

Originally I had thought only five of us were going to do the Mount Dana hike the next day, but it turned out everyone was going to at least start it. I told everyone we'd get up at 6am and try to leave camp around 7:30-7:40am. Then it was off to bed.

Unfortunately, the rain had gotten into Jennie and Reza's tent, soaking Reza's sleeping bag. He ended up sleeping in the car. My tent ground cover had done its job, and my tent was fine. Luckily, since I have a down sleeping bag and it doesn't like to be wet! Made me consider getting a synthetic sleeping bag for wet-weather camping trips.

Previous Day | Trip Home | Next Day

 Kevin's Hiking Page    
Copyright © 1995-2017 Kevin L. Gong